President Muhammadu Buhari has approved an increase in duty tour allowances (DTAs) for ministers, permanent secretaries and civil servants on grade level one to 17.
Duty tour allowance refers to the amount paid by the government when a public servant embarks on an official trip.
President Buhari Increases Duty Tour Allowance For Ministers, Perm Secs, Civil Servant
The approval of the new allowances was conveyed in a circular dated August 31, 2022, and signed by Ekpo Nta, Chairman of the National Salaries, Income and Wages Commission.
Nta said the new allowances take effect from September 1.
The circular reads: “The president of the federal republic of Nigeria has approved the upward review of duty tour allowances applicable to Permanent Secretary/Equivalent from N20,0000 to N70,000, and to minister/SGF/HCSF/Equivalent from N35,000 to N80,000,” the circular reads.
“All enquiries relating to this circular should be directed to the commission.”
A breakdown of the new DTA as contained in the circular is presented below:
• GL 01-04 and its equivalent – N10,000 per diem
• GL 05-06 and its equivalent – N15,000 per diem
• GL 07-10 and its equivalent – N17,500 per diem
• GL 12-13 and its equivalent – N20,000 per diem
• GL 14-15 and its equivalent – N25,000 per diem
• GL 16-17 and its equivalent – N37,500 per diem
• Permanent secretary/equivalent – N70,000 per diem
• Minister/SGF/HCSF/equivalent – N80,000 per diem
In August, the president said there is a need for an urgent salary review in the federal civil service, owing to the high inflation rate across the world.